A new Virginia highway marker has been erected in the Charlottesville, Va. area. According to a news report, “A new highway marker is highlighting the role the Charlottesville and Albemarle County community played in the Revolutionary War. Virginia Department of Historic Resources dedicated the marker on Saturday at the entrance to the Barracks Equestrian Center in Charlottesville.” The marker is about the British and Hessian prisoners brought to Albemarle County after their surrender at the battles of Saratoga, NY, in October 1777. The road along which the marker is located is still known as Barracks Road, although it is doubtful most locals know why.
The full text of the marker can be found here: http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/pdf_files/Sept2011markersFINAL.pdf.
Below is an image of the barracks as they appeared during the Revolutionary War: